THE ROARING 1920's
In 1924, an aerodrome was built and Karachi became the main airport of entry to India. The British Government also developed an Imperial Airship Communications Scheme in the 1920's, which was a plan to have a fleet of large dirigibles providing mail and passenger service to far-flung portions of the Empire. To this effect, mooring masts were constructed at Cardington in England, St. Hubert in Canada, Ismailia in Egypt, and Karachi, which was chosen to be the main terminal for India. A site was located outside Karachi and construction of an airship mast, hangar and a hydrogen plant was begun in 1927. Although, this program was cancelled after the destruction of the Airship R 101 in 1930 with great loss of life, the shed and the mast remained as impressive relics of the plan till well after Pakistan's independence. They were later dismantled and the steel was used for buildings and bridges along the Pakistan Railways. The site later became the international airport at Karachi.
City views from the 1920's
Local Businesses Spotlight
THE 1930's - A MATURE WORLD CITY
With the opening of the Sukker Barrage in Northern Sindh in 1932, the city saw another boom. After the separation of the province of Sindh from the Bombay presidency in 1936, Karachi was made the capital of the province. Foundation was laid for the construction of the Karachi Municipal Corporation building to house the municipal workings and offices of the new provincial capital.